We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Panis Angelicus (O, Lord Most Holy) Cesar Franck
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #13 Arise My Soul Arise
- 9:00 Sunday School for all ages. Pre-k – 7th meet downstairs; the High School and Adult Class meets in the Sanctuary.
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- Today we will celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
- 6:15 pm, Wednesday, High School Youth Group resumes for grades 8th-12th. Meal provided. This first meeting will be at the church. The following meetings will be at the Community Center.
- 6 am, Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 8 am, Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 9:00 am, Saturday, Clean Up Day at the church.
- 5:00 pm, September 24th, Fall Kids’ Quest Kick-Off BBQ and Kids’ Quest registration. Please come for the fellowship even if you don’t have kids. We still need people to sign up to bring parts of the meal so check your texts for the link to sign up!
- 6:30 pm, September 26th, Mercy Ministry Team Meeting.
- 7:00 pm, September 26th, Loving Him Well (Women’s Study) begins in the Fireside Room.
- 4:30 pm, September 27th, Music Practice resumes. See Rachel A. for more information.
- 5:00 pm, September 27th, Son Light Puppeteer practice resumes.
- 5:30 pm, September 27th, Kids’ Quest for grades pre-k-4th and the Middle School Youth for grades 5th-7th begin. Meal provided.
- Following the Kids’ Quest meal, September 27th, “The Study of Eschatology” begins at the church.
- 5:30 pm, October 1st, “Who Is the Holy Spirit?” community groups at the church. We will enjoy a fellowship potluck together and sing as a large group. Then we will break into smaller groups for study and prayer.
- 6:00 pm, October 1st, Piedmont Area “Who Is the Holy Spirit?” community group (address in bulletin).
- 5:30 pm, October 8th, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- Following worship, October 22nd, Congregational Meeting with the purpose of electing deacons who have been previously nominated by the congregation and are in the process of being examined by the session.
- During the month of September, we will be taking a collection for the High School Scooper Pantry. See the bulletin for a list of needed items. You may drop off the items in the basket in the Foyer. Please bring all items by September 24th. If you have any questions, see Amy K.
- Bella Pregnancy’s Annual Gala is October 5th. See bulletin insert for more information.
Call to Worship: Psalm 29: 1 – 2
Leader: Ascribe to the Lord glory and strength. Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #45 Now Unto Jehovah Ye Sons of the Mighty
We Confess Our Faith
The Apostles’ Creed
Hymn of Faith: Heaven Came Down
We Confess Our Sin
Call to Confession: Adapted from Hebrews 4: 14 – 16
Leader: Remember that our Lord Jesus can sympathize with us in our weakness, since in every respect he was tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with boldness approach the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Let us confess our sins against God and against our neighbor.
Silent Confession of Sin & Prayer of Confession
Assurance of Pardon: Titus 3:4-7
Leader: But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
Hymn of Assurance: Hymnal #498 (verses 1, 2, 5) Jesus What A Friend for Sinners
We Hear God Speak
(Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddlers’ Church for ages 2-4, and Children’s Church for ages 5-8.)
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Engage! Romans 13: 8 – 12
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 9-17-23 sermon notes
Hymn of Response: Songs of Faith #7 O Church Arise
We Prepare Our Hearts to Commune With the Lord
Corporate Prayer: Adapted from the Valley of Vision- Continual Repentance
All: O God of grace, you have credited my record of sin to my substitute, and credited his record of righteousness to me. You have robed me in the righteousness of Christ, decking me with jewels of holiness.
But in my Christian walk, I am still in rags; my best prayers are stained with sin. I need to repent of my repentance. I am lost, always going into the far country, and always returning home as a prodigal, always saying, Father, forgive me, and you are always bringing forth the best robe.
Grant me never to lose sight of the exceeding sinfulness of sin, the exceeding righteousness of salvation, the exceeding glory of Christ, the exceeding beauty of holiness, the exceeding wonder of grace. Amen
The Lord’s Supper
A Word About Communion: Foothills Community Church welcomes all baptized Christians who are willing to forsake their sin and who are trusting in Jesus Christ for salvation to receive Communion with us. If you are not able to take Communion, we invite you to use this time to pray before God.
The Bread (is gluten-free)
The Cup (outer ring contains wine; inner rings contains grape juice)
Special Music: His Mercy Is More
Hymn of Response: Facing A Task Unfinished
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Responsive Reading: From Psalm 116
Leader: I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.
All: The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. The Lord protects the unwary; when I was brought low, he saved me.
Leader: What shall I return to the Lord for all his goodness to me?
All: I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord. I will fulfill my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. I will sacrifice a thank offering to you and call on the name of the Lord.
Leader: Praise the Lord!
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Meditation- Jules Massenet
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Hymn: Hymnal #355 (verse 2) We Are God’s People
Postlude: To God Be the Glory- William Doane