We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Traumerei/ Robert Schumann
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #7 O Church Arise
- 9:00 Sunday School for all ages. Pre-k – 7th meet downstairs; the High School and Adult Class meets in the Sanctuary.
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- 5:00 pm, tonight, Fall Kick-Off BBQ and Kids’ Quest registration. Please come for the fellowship even if you don’t have kids.
- Contributions to the High School Scooper Pantry are due today.
- 7:00 pm, Tuesday, Loving Him Well (Women’s Study) begins in the Fireside Room. See Kristen L. for more information.
- 4:30 pm, Wednesday, Music Practice resumes. See Rachel A. for more information.
- 5:00 pm, Wednesday, Son Light Puppeteer practice resumes.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, Kids’ Quest for grades pre-k-4th and the Middle School Youth for grades 5th-7th begin. Meal provided.
- 6:30-7:30 pm, Wednesday, “The Study of Eschatology”
- 6:15 pm, Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center for grades 8th-12th. Meal provided.
- 6 am, Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 6:30 pm, Thursday, Mercy Ministry Team Meeting.
- 8 am, Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 5:30 pm, October 1st, “Who Is the Holy Spirit?” community groups at the church. We will enjoy a fellowship potluck together and sing as a large group. Then we will break into smaller groups for study and prayer.
- 6:00 pm, October 1st, Piedmont Area “Who Is the Holy Spirit?” community group (address in bulletin).
- 5:30 pm, October 8th, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- 8:45 am, October 13th, MOPS meets at the church.
- 9:00 am, October 14th, Deacon Meeting.
- October 15th, we will celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
- 6:00 pm, October 16th, Session Meeting.
- Following worship, October 22nd, Congregational Meeting with the purpose of electing deacons who have been previously nominated by the congregation and are in the process of being examined by the session.
- Pastor Jeff and Carey will be out of town from September 27th- October 9th for presbytery and a brief vacation. If you have a pastoral need during this time, please contact an elder.
- During the month of October, our Ministry Focus is the Elementary School’s Coat Drive. If you are contributing any new or gently used coats, please bring to the basket in the Foyer by October 29th.
Sermon Engagement Project
Responsive Call to Worship: Psalm 68: 1-4
Leader: God shall arise, his enemies shall be scattered; and those who hate him shall flee before him!
All: But the righteous shall be glad; they shall exult before God; they shall be jubilant with joy!
Leader: Sing to God, sing praises to his name; lift up a song to him who rides through the deserts; his name is the Lord; exult before him.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #100 Holy, Holy, Holy
We Confess Our Sin
Call to Confession: Acts 3: 19
Leader: Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.
Silent Confession of Sin
Corporate Prayer of Confession:
All: Dear loving and gracious God, we recognize that we are weak and sinful people. We are sorry for the times we have been silent and for the times we have shied away from sharing the gospel of hope with others. Forgive us for the times we put our own comfort, security, and pride before You. Help us believe that You can take our failures and our past and use them to encourage and bless others. In Jesus’ Name. Amen
Assurance of Pardon: Ezekiel 36: 25 -28
Leader: ‘I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. You will be my people, and I will be your God.’
Hymn of Assurance: Hymnal #599 Savior Like A Shepherd Lead Us
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Thanks and Farewell to a Faithful Servant
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Come Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy/ Joseph Hart (1712-1768) a Calvinist preacher converted by the Moravians.
We Hear God Speak
(Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddlers’ Church for ages 2-4, and Children’s Church for ages 5-8.)
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Putting on Christ Romans 13: 11 – 14
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 9-24-23 sermon notes
Hymn of Response: Hymnal #642 Be Thou My Vision
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Hymn: God Be With You till We Meet Again
Postlude: A Wonderful Savior/ Wm. Kirkpatrick