We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Prelude in C Major-Bach/ Gounod
Gathering Hymn: On Jordan’s Stormy Banks
- 9:00 Sunday School for all ages. Pre-k – 7th meet downstairs; the High School and Adult Class meets in the Sanctuary.
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- 5:30 pm, tonight, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- 7:00 pm, Tuesday, Loving Him Well (Women’s Study) at the church.
- 4:30 pm, Wednesday, Music Practice.
- 5:00 pm, Wednesday, Son Light Puppeteer practice.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, Kids’ Quest for grades pre-k-4th and the Middle School Youth for grades 5th-7th begin. Meal provided.
- 6:15 pm, Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center for grades 8th-12th. Meal provided.
- 6:30-7:30 pm, Wednesday, “The Study of Eschatology”
- 6 am, Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 8:45 am, Friday, MOPS meets at the church.
- 8 am, Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 9:00 am, Saturday, Deacon Meeting.
- October 15th, we will celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
- 5:30 pm, October 15th, “Who Is the Holy Spirit?” community groups at the church. We will enjoy a fellowship potluck together and sing as a large group. Then we will break into smaller groups for study and prayer.
- 6:00 pm, October 15th, Piedmont Area “Who Is the Holy Spirit?” community group (address in bulletin).
- 2:00 pm, October 21st, Women’s Tea and Fellowship.
- Following worship, October 22nd, Congregational Meeting with the purpose of electing deacons who have been previously nominated by the congregation, have completed training, and were examined by the session. The following men have been put forward for election: Daniel B., Thomas C., Clay K., Oriah L., and Aaron S.
- 6:00 pm, October 23rd, Session Meeting.
- 6:30 pm, October 26th, Mercy Ministry Team meeting.
- October 29th, Reformation Service.
- Pastor Jeff and Carey are out of town until October 10th. If you have a pastoral need during this time, please contact an elder.
- Days 275-305 of the Family Devotional are available to pick up from the basket on the table in the Foyer.
- During the month of October, our Ministry Focus is the Elementary School’s Coat Drive. If you are contributing any new or gently used coats, please bring to the basket in the Foyer by October 29th.
Responsive Call to Worship: Revelation 19:6-7
Leader: Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out
All: Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice, and exult, and give him the glory!
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #44 How Great Thou Art
We Confess Our Faith
Responsive Reading: Heidelberg Catechism #1
Leader: What is thy only comfort in life and in death?
All: That I, with body and soul, both in life and in death, am not my own, but belong to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ, who with His precious blood has fully satisfied for all my sins, and redeemed me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me, that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; yea, all things must work together for my salvation. Wherefore, by His Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me heartily willing and ready to live unto Him.
We Confess Our Sin
Corporate Confession of Sin: Book of Common Prayer
All: Almighty God, unto whom all hearts are open, all desires are known, and from whom no secrets are hidden; cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit, so that we may perfectly love you, and worthily magnify your holy name; through Christ our Lord, Amen.
Silent Confession of Sin
Responsive Assurance of Pardon: Matthew 11:28-30
Leader: Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
All: Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Hymn of Assurance: Hymnal #528 My Faith Looks Up to Thee
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Near the Cross-Fanny Crosby- The well-known blind hymnist, author of many hymns. Despite her fame, at age 60, chose to live in near poverty working in downtown New York City’s ghettos.
We Hear God Speak
(Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddlers’ Church for ages 2-4, and Children’s Church for ages 5-8.)
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
God’s Kingdom & The Judgement of Talents (Matt 25:14-30)
A copy of the sermon notes is available: God’s Kingdom – The Talents (Bulletin Notes)
Hymn of Response: Songs of Faith #26 I Am Not My Own
Hymn: Hymnal #516 Jesus, I Live to Thee (v1)
Postlude: What a Friend/ Charles C. Converse