We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Vals Sentimental/ Enrique Granados (1867-1916)
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #3 All Creatures of Our God and King
- 9 am, Sunday School for all ages. Preschool-7th meets downstairs, High School meets in the Fireside Room, and the Adult class is studying Christ in the Covenants in the Sanctuary.
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- 5:30 pm, Tonight, Small Groups meet at the church. Fellowship meal, hymn sing, and then will break off into three groups for prayer and study. Two groups study Ferguson’s “Let’s Study Ephesians” and one group discusses the daily application to that week’s sermon. Meets every 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month.
- 5:30 pm, Tonight, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- 5:00 pm, Wednesday, Sonlight Puppeteer practice resumes.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, Kids’ Quest begins for pre-k—7th grade. Meal provided.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, J-Curve Study begins for the adults at the church. Meal provided. See Ron B. for more information.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesdays, Pastor Jeff is starting a New Members’ class for the middle and high schoolers. Please see Pastor Jeff if interested.
- 6:15 pm, Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center. See Shonda J. for more information.
- 6 am Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 7:15 pm, Thursday, Prayer Meeting at Daniel and Sarah’s (address in the bulletin). For more information contact Daniel.
- 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 6:30 pm, October 4th, Mercy Ministry Team meeting.
- The Session has decided to extend deacon nominations through the end of October. Cards are available to fill out located on the Greeters’ Table. The one casting the nomination and the one being nominated must both be members of Foothills.
- Everyone in the congregation is invited to Right Now Media(rightnow.org). Email Foothillsccpca@gmail.com to be added.
- The Scooper Pantry is in need of several shelf-stable, easy-to-make meals. See Amy K. for more information.
- We are in need of a rotation of helpers to set up and clean up the meal at Kids’ Quest on Wednesdays. Text or call Amy K. for more information.
Responsive Call to Worship: Psalm 100
Leader: Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.
All: Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Leader: Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
All: For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: 10,000 Reasons
We Confess Our Faith
Responsive Reading: Heidelberg Catechism Question 1
Leader: What is your only comfort in life and death?
All: That I am not my own, but belong with body and soul, both in life and in death, to my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood, and has set me free from all the power of the devil. He also preserves me in such a way that without the will of my heavenly Father not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, all things must work together for my salvation. Therefore, by his Holy Spirit he also assures me of eternal life and makes me heartily willing and ready from now on to live for him.
We Confess Our Sin
Leader: He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.
Silent Confession of Sin
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of Pardon
Leader: Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon. “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55: 6 – 9)
Hymn of Assurance: Hymnal #461 Not What My Hands Have Done
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Give Me Jesus/ Negro Spiritual
The plantation songs, known as “spirituals”, are the spontaneous outbursts of intense religious fervor, and had their origin chiefly in camp meetings, and revivals. The cadences of sorrow invariably turn to joy, and the message is ever manifest that eventually deliverance from all that hinders and oppresses the soul will come, and man will be free.
We Hear God Speak
*Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddler’s Church for 2-4 years old, Children’s Church for 5 to 8 years old.
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Three Generations of Election Reveal the Purpose of God in Election Romans 9: 6 – 12
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 9-25-22 sermon notes
Hymn of Response: O Love That Will Not Let Me Go
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Hymnal #735 Gloria Patri
Postlude: ‘Tis So Sweet To Trust in Jesus