We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Into The Woods My Master Went/Peter Lutkin
Gathering Hymn: Hymnal #92 A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
- 9 am, Sunday School for all ages. Preschool-7th meets downstairs, High School meets in the Fireside Room, and the Adult class is studying Christ in the Covenants in the Sanctuary.
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- 6:00 pm, Tonight, Reformation Service with our sister churches; a light meal and fellowship will follow. No need to bring anything; food will be provided.
- 5:00 pm, Wednesday, Sonlight Puppeteer practice.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, Kids’ Quest for pre-k—7th grade. Meal provided.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, J-Curve Study for the adults at the church. Meal provided. See Ron B. for more information.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesdays, New Members’ class for the middle and high schoolers.
- 6:15 pm, Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center. See Shonda J. for more information.
- 6 am Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 7:15 pm, Thursday, Prayer Meeting at Daniel and Sarah’s (address in the bulletin). For more information contact Daniel.
- 6:30 pm, Friday, Ladies’ Night of Fellowship at the church. Contact Tracy K. with any questions.
- 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 6:30 pm, November 8th, Mercy Ministry Team Meeting.
- 5:30 pm, November 13th, Small Groups meet at the church. Fellowship meal, hymn sing, and then will break off into three groups for prayer and study. Two groups study Ferguson’s “Let’s Study Ephesians” and one group discusses the daily application to that week’s sermon. Meets every 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month.
- 5:30 pm, November 13th, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- The Session has decided to extend deacon nominations through the end of October. Cards are available to fill out located on the Greeters’ Table. The one casting the nomination and the one being nominated must both be members of Foothills.
- Pastor Jeff will be starting a new members’ class soon. If you are interested in attending to learn more about Foothills and what we believe, please let the church office know.
- November’s devotionals are available on the bookshelf near the coffee bar.
- We will be placing another FCC T-shirt order in the near future. Available sizes are kids small, medium, and large; and small through 2XL in men and women. Shirts cost $15. If you are interested in ordering, please contact Lydia H.
- Everyone in the congregation is invited to Right Now Media(rightnow.org). Email Foothillsccpca@gmail.com to be added.
Responsive Call to Worship: Ephesians 1: 3 – 8
Leader: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,
All: Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.
Leader: In love he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.
All: In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Songs of Faith #2 Reformation Song
We Confess Our Faith
Responsive Reading: The Five Solas of the Reformation (2 Timothy 3: 16 – 17; Ephesians 2: 8 – 9; Romans 1: 17; John 14: 6; 1 Timothy 1:17)
Leader: Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone)
All: All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Leader: Sola Gratia (Grace Alone)
All: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.
Leader: Sola Fide (Faith Alone)
All: For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”
Leader: Solus Christus (Christ Alone)
All: Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Leader: Soli Deo Gloria (To God Alone Be Glory)
All: Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
We Confess Our Sin
Responsive Reading: 1 John 1: 5 – 8
Leader: God is light; in him there in no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him, yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from sin. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
All: Most holy and merciful Father, we confess to you and to one another, that we have sinned against you by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart and mind and strength. We have not fully loved our neighbors as ourselves. We have not always had in us the mind of Christ. You alone know how often we have grieved you by wasting your gifts, by wandering from your ways. Forgive us, we pray you, most merciful Father; And free us from our sin. Renew in us the grace and strength of your Holy Spirit, for the sake of Jesus Christ your Son our Savior. Amen.
Silent Confession of Sin
Assurance of Pardon: Colossians 1: 12 – 14
Hymn of Assurance: Songs of Faith #12 Before the Throne of God Above
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: A Mighty Fortress Is Our God/ Martin Luther (1486-1546) was not only a great reformer, Bible translator, fiery preacher, and theologian, but also a musician, having been born in an area of Germany known for its music.
When the Protestant Reformation began, Luther determined to restore worship to the German church. He helped revive congregational singing and wrote a number of hymns. “Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world.”
We Hear God Speak
*Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddlers’ Church for ages 2-4, and Children’s Church for ages 5-8.
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
The Remnant Romans 9: 27 – 29
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 10-30-22 sermon notes
For tools to help you examine yourself click here: Examine yourselves
Hymn of Response: Hymnal #252 When I Survey The Wonderous Cross
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Songs of Faith #16 Grace Alone
Postlude: How Firm a Foundation Traditional American Melody