We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: For The Beauty of the Earth/ Conrad Kocher
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #3 All Creatures of Our God and King
- 9 am, Sunday School for all ages. Preschool-7th meets downstairs, High School meets in the Fireside Room, and the Adult class is studying Christ in the Covenants in the Sanctuary.
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- 5:30 pm, Tonight, Small Groups meet at the church. Fellowship meal, hymn sing, and then will break off into three groups for prayer and study. Two groups study Ferguson’s “Let’s Study Ephesians” and one group discusses the daily application to that week’s sermon. Meets every 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month.
- 5:30 pm, Tonight, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- 5:00 pm, Wednesday, Sonlight Puppeteer practice.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, Kids’ Quest for pre-k—7th grade. Meal provided.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, J-Curve Study for the adults at the church. Meal provided. See Ron B. for more information.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesdays, New Members’ class for the middle and high schoolers.
- 6:15 pm, Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center. See Shonda J. for more information.
- 6 am Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 7:15 pm, Thursday, Prayer Meeting at Daniel and Sarah’s (address in the bulletin). For more information contact Daniel.
- 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 6:00 pm, October 30th, Reformation Service with our sister churches. Please bring a dessert to share.
- 6:30 pm, November 4th, Ladies’ Night of Fellowship at the church. Contact Tracy K. with any questions.
- The Session has decided to extend deacon nominations through the end of October. Cards are available to fill out located on the Greeters’ Table. The one casting the nomination and the one being nominated must both be members of Foothills.
- We will be placing another FCC T-shirt order in the near future. Available sizes are kids small, medium, and large; and small through 2XL in men and women. Shirts cost $15. If you are interested in ordering, please contact Lydia H.
- Everyone in the congregation is invited to Right Now Media(rightnow.org). Email Foothillsccpca@gmail.com to be added.
Responsive Call to Worship: Psalm 107: 1-2, 8-9, 13 – 15, 43
Leader: Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
All: Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble and gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south.
Leader: Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.
All: They cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and burst their bonds apart. Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man!
Leader: Whoever is wise, let him attend to these things; let them consider the steadfast love of the Lord.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #4 (verses 1, 2, 4, 5, 6) All Praise to God Who Reigns Above
We Confess Our Sin
Responsive Reading: Heidelberg Catechism 34, Ephesians 5: 1 – 14
Leader: What is adoption?
All: Adoption is an act of God’s free grace, whereby we are received into the number, and have a right to all the privileges, of the sons of God.
Leader: Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
All: But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.
Leader: Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not become partners with them; for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret.
All: But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”
Silent Confession of Sin
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of Pardon: 1 John 4: 10 – 12
Hymn of Assurance: Hymnal #465 Marvelous Grace of Our Loving Lord
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Abide With Me/ Henry Lyte (1793-1847) vicar of a small fishing village in Devonshire, England
Henry’s lung condition hung over him like a black cloud. At age 54, in 1857, he entered the pulpit with great difficulty and preached what was to be his last sermon. He had planned a therapeutic holiday in Italy. That afternoon he walked along the coast in pensive prayer, then retired to his room, emerging an hour later with a written copy of “Abide With Me”.
Two months later while on the French Riviera, his phthisic lungs gave out. His last words were “peace! joy”!
We Hear God Speak
*Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddlers’ Church for ages 2-4, and Children’s Church for ages 5-8.
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Once We Were Not, Now We Are Romans 9: 24 – 26
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 10-23-22 sermon notes
Hymn of Response: Hymnal #355 We Are God’s People
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Songs of Faith #16 Grace Alone
Postlude: From Every Stormy Wind That Blows