We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: The Old Rugged Cross/George Bennard
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #27 Behold Our God
- 9 am, Sunday School for all ages. Preschool-7th meets downstairs, High School meets in the Fireside Room, and the Adult class is studying Christ in the Covenants in the Sanctuary.
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- Today, we will celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
- 6:00 pm, Tonight, Hymn Sing and Fellowship. Please bring a dessert to share.
- 6:00 pm, Monday, Session Meeting.
- 5:00 pm, Wednesday, Sonlight Puppeteer practice.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, Kids’ Quest for pre-k—7th grade. Meal provided.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, J-Curve Study for the adults at the church. Meal provided. See Ron B. for more information.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesdays, New Members’ class for the middle and high schoolers.
- 6:15 pm, Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center. See Shonda J. for more information.
- 6 am Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 7:15 pm, Thursday, Prayer Meeting at Daniel and Sarah’s (address in the bulletin). For more information contact Daniel.
- 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 5:30 pm, October 23rd, Small Groups meet at the church. Fellowship meal, hymn sing, and then will break off into three groups for prayer and study. Two groups study Ferguson’s “Let’s Study Ephesians” and one group discusses the daily application to that week’s sermon. Meets every 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month.
- 5:30 pm, October 23rd, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- 6:00 pm, October 30th, Reformation Service. Please bring a dessert to share.
- 6:30 pm, November 4th, Ladies’ Night of Fellowship at the church. Contact Tracy K. with any questions.
- The Session has decided to extend deacon nominations through the end of October. Cards are available to fill out located on the Greeters’ Table. The one casting the nomination and the one being nominated must both be members of Foothills.
- Everyone in the congregation is invited to Right Now Media(rightnow.org). Email Foothillsccpca@gmail.com to be added.
- The Scooper Pantry is in need of several shelf-stable, easy-to-make meals. See Amy K. for more information.
Responsive Call to Worship: Psalm 98: 1 – 4
Leader: Oh sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things! His right hand and his holy arm have worked salvation for him.
All: The Lord has made known his salvation; He has revealed his righteousness in the sight of the nations. He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness to His People. All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
Leader: Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises!
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #45 Now Unto Jehovah, Ye Sons of the Mighty
We Confess Our Sin
Responsive Reading: Adapted from the Heidelberg Catechism Question 2 – 4 and Galatians 4: 4
Leader: What must you know to live and die in the joy and comfort of knowing that body and soul that you belong to Jesus?
All: Three things: first, how great my sin and misery are; second, how I am set free from all my sins and misery through Christ’s atoning death on my behalf; third, how I am to thank God for such deliverance by living of grateful obedience.
Leader: How do you come to know your sin and misery?
All: The law of God tells me.
Leader: What does God’s law require of us?
All: Christ teaches us this in summary in Matthew 22:37-40: “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. “And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ “On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
Silent Confession of Sin
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of Pardon: Galatians 4: 4 – 7
Hymn of Assurance: Songs of Faith #6 Let Us Love and Sing and Wonder
We Confess Our Faith
The Apostles’ Creed hymnal page #845
Receiving of New Members: Dorothy M; Olga R; Daniel and Sarah R; Aaron and Annie S.
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Spirit of God, Descend upon My Heart/Frederick C. Atkinson(1841-1897) as a boy, he was an organist and choirmaster at Norwich Cathedral, Norfolk, England
We Hear God Speak
*Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddlers’ Church for ages 2-4, and Children’s Church for ages 5-8.
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
The Manifold Glory of God Romans 9: 22-23
A copy of the sermon notes is available:10-16-22 sermon notes
Hymn of Response: Songs of Faith #38 Sovereign Over Us
The Lord’s Supper
A Word About Communion: Foothills Community Church welcomes all baptized Christians who are willing to forsake their sin and who are trusting in Jesus Christ for salvation to receive Communion with us. If you are not able to take Communion, we invite you to use this time to pray before God.
The Bread (is gluten-free)
The Cup (outer ring contains wine; inner rings contains grape juice)
Hymn of Response: Songs of Faith #8 Thy Mercy My God
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Step By Step
Postlude: Lead Me, Guide Me/Doris Akers