We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Meditation/ Jules Massenet
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #1 Ancient of Days
Greeting and Announcements
- 9:00 Sunday School for all ages. Pre-k through 7th Grade Classes as well as the Mama and Papa Bear Apologetics Class are in the basement. The Tabletalk Class is in the sanctuary and 8th-12th Grade meets in the Fireside Room.
- 10:30 Worship
- 5:30 Tonight, “James: Christian Maturity” Community Group at the church. Meal provided.
- 5:30 Tonight, Young Adult Bible Study (address in Bulletin) Meal provided.
- Loftus Community Group will not meet tonight.
- 6 am Thursday, and 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study
- May 22nd, we will celebrate the Lord’s Supper
- 6 pm, May 23rd, Session Meeting
- May 29th, there will be no Sunday School.
- 9 am—noon, June 7th-10th, Vacation Bible School. Helpers and teachers are needed! See Amy Karrels for more info.
- May is Foster Care Awareness month! Did you know that Foothills is actively obeying God’s call to love and serve Him through supporting local foster families? Please join the Mercy Ministry team in a month of emphasis on foster care through prayer, education, and response. More info is in the newsletter and at the display in the foyer.
- The Deacons are looking for volunteers this summer to help with yard maintenance at the church. Check your email for the link to sign up.
- May Devotionals are available on the bookshelf in the back of the sanctuary.
- The Cleaning Team for Bella Pregnancy is looking for a couple more people to help. With four people, cleaning only takes 2 hours each month. See Becky I., Marcie P., or Amy H. if interested.
- Everyone in the congregation is invited to Right Now Media (rightnow.org). Email Foothillsccpca@gmail.com to be added.
- Pastor Jeff and Carey will be visiting family in Florida from May 4 to May 12. If you have a pastoral need please call one of our elders.
Ministry Moment— Foster Care Awareness- Grace W., WRAP Update
Responsive Call to Worship: Psalm 96: 1-2, 5-6, and 7-9
Leader: Oh sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord all the earth!
All: Sing to the Lord, bless his name; tell of His salvation from day to day.
Leader: For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the Lord made the heavens.
All: Splendor and majesty are before Him; strength and beauty are in His sanctuary.
Leader: Ascribe to the Lord, O families of the peoples, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength!
All: Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name; bring an offering, and come into His courts!
Leader: Worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness; tremble before Him, all the earth!
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #62, (verses 1, 2, 3, 5) Sing to the Lord, Sing His Praise
We Confess Our Sin
Call to Confession: Psalm 32: 3-5
Leader: For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.
All: For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.
Leader: I acknowledged my sin to you and I did not cover my iniquity;
All: I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord”
Silent Confession of Sin
Responsive Assurance of Pardon: Psalm 32:5, 1-2
Leader: You forgave the iniquity of my sin
All: Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered
Leader: Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity!
All: To the one who does not work but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness.
Hymn of Assurance: Hymnal ##551, (verses 1, 2, 3, 5) How Blest Is He Whose Trespass
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child/ Negro Spiritual— arranged by H.T. Burleigh
The song dates back to the era of slavery in the US, when it was common practice to sell children of slaves away from their parents. The song is an expression of pain and despair as it conveys the hopelessness of a child who has been torn from their parents.
We Hear God Speak
*Following this time, a nursery is available and Toddler’s Church for 2-4 years old; there is no Children’s Church today.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Ruth and Redemption Ruth 1: 1-22, 4:13-17
A copy of the sermon notes is available: May 8th, 22
Hymn of Response: Hymnal #719 A Christian Home
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
(verses 1, 2) Take the Name of Jesus with You
Postlude: Tannhauser/ Richard Wagner