We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Meditation (from Thais)—Jules Massenet
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #22 Living Waters
- 9 am, Sunday School for all ages. Preschool-7th meets downstairs, High School meets in the Fireside Room, and the Adult class is in the Sanctuary
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- Pastor Jeff and Carey will be out of town this week but will be back to worship with us on the 6th. If you have a pastoral need during this time, please contact an elder.
- August 6th, there will be no nursery, Toddlers’ or Children’s Church.
- 6:00 pm, August 14th, Session meeting.
- Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study will resume August 17th and 19th
- There will be no Sunday School during the month of August (will resume at 9:00 on September 10th). Exception: the High School class meets the 20th and 27th.
- August 20th, we will celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
- 5:30 pm, August 20th, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- 6:30 pm, August 29th, Mercy Ministry team meeting.
- 10:00 am, August 31st, Fellowship Team meeting.
- September 15th and 16th ‘Flourishing in the Courts of Our God’ Women’s Retreat. The speaker will be Meaghan May and the seminar will be based on Psalm 92. Pamphlets with more information are available. Space is limited so use this opportunity to register early!
- We are looking for volunteers to sign up on a rotation to help make the Youth Group meals this year. The meal expense will be paid by the church. If interested in helping with these meals, please see Clea B.
- FCC’s Fellowship Team is looking for additional team members. If interested in helping in this area, please let Tracy or the office know.
- Mercy Bags are available to pick up from the Foyer to give to anyone in need. These bags are filled with different toiletry items, a $5 gift card, snack bar, and a gospel tract.
- Days 214-244 of the Family Devotionals are available to pick up from the basket in the Foyer.
- Every Monday and Thursday Love INC is open for any skilled volunteers to assist in their remodeling (sheetrock, taping/texturing, framers, window glazing, plumbing, landscaping, and painting). Love INC is also looking for a volunteer to help with office/administrative work. Please contact Bill M. or Becky M. and leave a message. Thank you for considering this.
Responsive Call to Worship: Psalm 47: 6 – 8
Leader: Sing praises to God, sing praises; sing praises to our King, sing praises.
All: For God is the King of all the earth; sing to him a psalm of praise.
Leader: God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #699 Like A River Glorious
We Confess Our Sin
Responsive Call to Confession: Adapted from Matthew 6: 19 – 24
Leader: Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
All: For where our treasure is, there our heart will be also.
Leader: The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness.
All: If then the light in us is darkness, how great is the darkness!
Leader: No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other.
All: We cannot serve both God and our material desires.
Silent Confession of Sin
Corporate Prayer of Confession
All: Dear Heavenly Father, we lower our heads before you and we confess that we have too often forgotten that we are yours. Sometimes we carry on our lives as if there was no God and we fall short of being a credible witness to You. For these things we ask your forgiveness and we also ask for your strength. Give us clear minds and open hearts so we may witness to You in our world. Remind us to be who You would have us to be regardless of what we are doing or who we are with. Hold us to You and build our relationship with You and with those You have given us on earth.
Responsive Assurance of Pardon: Romans 8: 31- 34
Leader: What then shall we say to these things?
All: If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?
Leader: Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect?
All: It is God who justifies.
Leader: Who is to condemn?
All: Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.
Hymn of Assurance: Hymnal #32 Great Is Thy Faithfulness
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Responsive Reading: 2 Corinthians 9: 8 – 9, 15
Leader: God is able to make all grace overflow to you. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. As the Scriptures say, “They share freely and give generously to the poor. Their good deeds will be remembered forever.
All: Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift in Jesus Christ our Lord!
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Deep River/ Traditional Spiritual —composed in a wholly unaffected manner during an extended season of great suffering and pain, the spirituals of Black America are recognized throughout the world as a rich musical heritage—— a veritable national treasure. Deep River is one of the songs that suggest advice to slaves who want to run away because the water will wash away their scent.
We Hear God Speak
(Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddlers’ Church for ages 2-4, and Children’s Church for ages 5-8.)
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Where Are You Planted? Psalm 1
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 7-30-23 sermon notes
Hymn of Response: Hymnal #691 It Is Well With My Soul
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Hymn: Take The Name of Jesus With You (verse 1)
Postlude: Rejoice, the Lord is King/John Darwell