We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Jesus Walked This Lonesome Valley/ American Folk Hymn
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #22 Living Waters
Greeting and Announcements
- 9:00 Sunday School for all ages. Pre-k through 7th Grade Classes as well as Adult Classes are in the basement. 8th-12th Grade meets in the Fireside Room.
- 10:30 Worship
- 5:30 Tonight, “James: Christian Maturity” Community Group (address in Bulletin). Meal provided.
- 5:30 Tonight, Young Adult Bible Study (address in Bulletin) Meal provided.
- 6:00 Tonight, New Membership Class.
- 6:00 pm, Monday, Mending the Soul Support Group.
- 5:30 Wednesday, Kids’ Quest for grades pre-k through 7th. Meal provided.
- 6:00 pm, Wednesday, “Faith of Our Fathers” small group.
- 6:15 pm Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center. Meal provided.
- 6 am Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study
Mark Your Calendar:
- 6:00 pm, January 30th, Hymn Sing. Reception following to welcome our new members.
- 6:45 pm, February 3rd, Women’s Bible Study. Study on the book of Ephesians. Meets every 1st and 3rd Thursday.
- 6:00 pm, February 5th, at the Sturgis Armory, Love INC’s annual fundraiser “Hope and Love”. If you are interested in attending the banquet, see Todd A. for tickets.
- 5:30 pm, February 17th, Sturgis Love INC will begin weekly Life INC classes in our Fellowship Hall. There will be a free meal and prayer at 5:30; free classes start at 6. All are encouraged to come, pray, and build relationships with others. We are looking for volunteers to help with child care and making meals on those Thursdays. Please sign-up!
- Following worship, February 20th, Soup Potluck and Fellowship. Sign-ups will be shared soon.
- 2021 Giving Records are available on the back table.
- We are participating in Bella Pregnancy’s Annual Baby Bottle Fundraiser. Pick up a baby bottle and fill with change, cash, or check, and return by February 20th.
- Everyone in the congregation is invited to Right Now Media (rightnow.org). Email Foothillsccpca@gmail.com to be added.
Responsive Call to Worship: Nehemiah 9: 5 – 6; 1 Chronicles 16: 9
Leader: Stand up and bless the Lord your God from everlasting to everlasting. Blessed be your glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise.
All: You are the Lord, you alone. You have made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them; and you preserve all of them; and the host of heaven worships you.
Leader: Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wondrous works!
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Songs of Faith #27 Behold Our God
We Confess Our Sin
Responsive Reading based on Exodus 20; and Heidelberg Catechism Questions 113, 114, 115
Leader: What is the tenth commandment?
All: You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s.
Leader: What is the aim of the tenth commandment?
All: That not even the slightest desire or thought contrary to any one of God’s commandments should ever arise in our hearts. Rather, with all our hearts we should always hate sin and take pleasure in whatever is right.
Leader: But can those converted to God obey these commandments perfectly?
All: No. In this life even the holiest have only a small beginning of this obedience. Nevertheless, with all seriousness of purpose, they do begin to live according to all, not only some, of God’s commandments.
Leader: Since no one in this life can obey the Ten Commandments perfectly, why does God want them preached so pointedly?
All: First, so that the longer we live the more we may come to know our sinfulness and the more eagerly look to Christ for forgiveness of sins and righteousness. Second, so that we may never stop striving, and never stop praying to God for the grace of the Holy Spirit, to be renewed more and more after God’s image, until after this life we reach our goal: perfection.
Confession of Sin & Assurance of Pardon
Hymn of Response: Hymnal #461 Not What My Hands Have Done
We Give Thanks To The Lord
A Moment for Ministry: Bella Pregnancy Resource Center
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Just a Closer Walk With Thee/ Author Unknown— circumstantial evidence strongly suggests it dated back to southern African-American churches of the nineteenth century, possibly even prior to the Civil War.
We Hear God Speak
*Following this time, a nursery is available and Toddler’s Church for 2-4 years old. There is no Children’s Church today.
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Who Is The Wretched Man? Romans 7: 13 – 24
Hymn of Response: Songs of Faith #28 My Savior, My God
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Hymnal #644 verses 1, 2 May the Mind of Christ My Savior
Postlude: What a Friend/Charles Converse