We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Abide With Me – William Monk (combined with Pachelbel’s Canon)
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #1 Ancient of Days
- 9 am, Sunday School for all ages. Preschool-7th meets downstairs, High School meets in the Fireside Room, and the Adult class is studying Christ in the Covenants in the Sanctuary.
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- Today we will celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
- Following worship, join us for a Potluck and Fellowship.
- No Sonlight Puppeteer practice this week.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, Kids’ Quest for pre-k—7th grade. Meal provided.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, J-Curve Study for the adults at the church. Meal provided. See Ron B. for more information.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesdays, New Members’ class for the middle and high schoolers.
- 6:15 pm, Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center.
- 6 am Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 5:30 pm, January 29th, Small Groups meet at the church. Fellowship meal, hymn sing, and then will break off into groups for prayer and study.
- 5:30 pm, January 29th, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- 6-8 pm, February 24th, South Dakota Kids Belong Annual Gala at the Countryside Church in Spearfish; Dinner provided. Reserve your seat at americakidsbelong.ticketspice.com/rise-up-2023 Please see Clea B. for more information.
- We have put together a family devotional that will take you through the New Testament this coming year. If you would like to subscribe to the printed copy each month, please fill out a response card.
- To help strengthen marriages, we will be starting a new Discipleship Group called Love and Respect. If interested in attending, please fill out a response card.
- Giving Statements are available on the table in the Foyer.
Responsive Call to Worship: Isaiah 14: 24, 26, 27; 25: 8 – 7
Leader: The Lord Almighty has sworn, “Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will happen.”
All: This is the plan determined for the whole world; this is the hand stretched out over all nations.
Leader: For the Lord Almighty has purposed, and who can thwart him? His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back?
All: He will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove his people’s disgrace from all the earth. The LORD has spoken.
Leader: In that day they will say, ‘Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us.
All: This is the LORD, we trusted in him; let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation.’”
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #75 O Father, You Are Sovereign
We Confess Our Sin
Prayer of Confession: Adapted from Psalm 51
All: Have mercy upon me, O God, according to your lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of your tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned, and done this evil in your sight: that you might be justified when you speak, and be clear when you judge. You desire truth in my heart and mind. Cleanse with the blood of Christ, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Silent Confession of Sin
Assurance of Pardon:
Leader: Almighty God, who does freely pardon all who repent and turn to Him, now fulfill in every contrite heart the promise of redeeming grace; forgiving all our sins, and cleansing us from an evil conscience; through the perfect sacrifice of Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen.
Hymn of Assurance: Love Lifted Me
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: If Thou But Suffer God To Guide Thee-Neumark (in the setting of Mendelssohn’s Song Without Words)
Born in Germany, in 1621, Georg Neumark, was a victim of many misfortunes because of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648). He wrote this hymn at age 20. J. S. Bach borrowed it for 8 of his cantatas. Mendelssohn was a child prodigy. His wealthy Jewish family converted to Christianity.
We Confess Our Faith
The Apostles’ Creed
Welcoming Ezra A. into the Covenant Family through Baptism
We Hear God Speak
(Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddlers’ Church for ages 2-4, and Children’s Church for ages 5-8.)
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Things Aren’t Always As They Seem Romans 11: 1 – 5
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 1-22-23 sermon notes
Hymn of Response: Hymnal #420 At The Lamb’s High Feast We Sing
The Lord’s Supper
A Word About Communion: Foothills Community Church welcomes all baptized Christians who are willing to forsake their sin and who are trusting in Jesus Christ for salvation to receive Communion with us. If you are not able to take Communion, we invite you to use this time to pray before God.
The Bread (is gluten-free)
The Cup (outer ring contains wine; inner rings contains grape juice)
Hymn of Response: Hymnal #469 How Sweet and Awesome Is This Place
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
The Steadfast Love of the Lord
Postlude: Tell Me the Old, Old Story- William Doane