We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Gathering Hymn: Hymnal #196 Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus
- 9 am, Sunday School for all ages. Preschool-7th meets downstairs, High School meets in the Fireside Room, and the Adult class is studying Christ in the Covenants in the Sanctuary.
- 9 am, New Members’ Class
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- Following worship, Children’s singing practice then Women’s Choir practice.
- 6:30 pm, Tuesday, Mercy Ministry Team meeting.
- 5:00 pm, Wednesday, Sonlight Puppeteer practice.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, Kids’ Quest for pre-k—7th grade. Meal provided.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, J-Curve Study for the adults at the church. Meal provided. See Ron B. for more information.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesdays, New Members’ class for the middle and high schoolers.
- 6:15 pm, Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center. See Shonda J. for more information.
- 6 am Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 7:15 pm, Thursday, Prayer Meeting at Daniel and Sarah’s (address in the bulletin). For more information contact Daniel.
- 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 5:30 pm, December 11th, Small Groups meet at the church. Fellowship meal, hymn sing, and then will break off into three groups for prayer and study.
- 5:30 pm, December 11th, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- 6:00 pm, December 12th, Session Meeting.
- 1:00 pm, December 17th, Christmas Caroling.
- December 18th, we will celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
- 6:00 pm, December 18th, Kids’ Quest Program.
- 6:00 pm, December 24th, Candlelight Service.
- ‘The Dawning of Indestructible Joy’ Advent Devotional is available to read together as a family. You may download it on our website under the tab “Resources and Links” or ask the office to email you the link or pdf. For more information, see the December Newsletter.
- We will be participating in the elementary school’s annual Coat Drive. If you would like to contribute, please bring new or gently used coats, gloves, and hats to the church by the 18th of December.
- We will be placing another FCC T-shirt order in the near future. Available sizes are kids small, medium, and large; and small through 2XL in men and women. Shirts cost $15. If you are interested in ordering, please contact Lydia H.
Responsive Call to Worship: Isaiah 9:2, 6, 7; Ephesians 1:3
Leader: The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.
All: For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Leader: Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever.
All: Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #223 While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks
We Confess Our Faith
Responsive Reading: Heidelberg Catechism Q 29, 31, 32
Leader: Why is the Son of God called “Jesus,” meaning “savior”?
All: Because he saves us from our sins, and because salvation should not be sought and cannot be found in anyone else.
Leader: Why is he called “Christ,” meaning “anointed”?
All: Because he has been ordained by God the Father and has been anointed with the Holy Spirit to be our chief prophet and teacher who fully reveals to us the secret counsel and will of God concerning our deliverance; our only high priest who has delivered us by the one sacrifice of his body, and who continually pleads our cause with the Father; and our eternal king who governs us by his Word and Spirit, and who guards us and keeps us in the freedom he has won for us.
Leader: But why are you called a Christian?
All: Because by faith I am a member of Christ and so I share in his anointing. I am anointed to confess his name, to present myself to him as a living sacrifice of thanks, to strive with a free conscience against sin and the devil in this life, and afterward to reign with Christ over all creation for eternity.
We Confess Our Sin
All: O God, Though I am allowed to approach You I am not unmindful of my sins, I do not deny my guilt, I confess my wickedness, and earnestly plead for your forgiveness.
Silent Confession of Sin
All: Father of all mercies, help me to place myself always under Your guiding and guardian care, to take firmer hold of the sure covenant that binds me to you, to feel more of the purifying, dignifying, softening influence of the Christ, whom I profess, to have more compassion, love, pity, courtesy, to deem it an honor to be used in your service, as an instrument in your hands, ready to seize every opportunity of usefulness. Through the blood of Christ wash me clean. Through the power of the Holy Spirit make me a willing servant in service to you.
Assurance of Pardon: Psalm 116:5 & Colossians 1:13 & 14
Hymn of Assurance: I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
We Hear God Speak
Advent Candle Lighting: Peace
*Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddlers’ Church for ages 2-4, and Children’s Church for ages 5-8.
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Unashamed in Christ Romans 10: 9 – 11
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 12-4-22 sermon notes
Hymn of Response: Hymnal #521 My Hope Is Built On Nothing Less
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Hymnal #224 (refrain only; 2 times) Go Tell It On The Mountain