We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Some Children See Him/ Chopin’s Nocturne in E Minor
Gathering Hymn: Hymnal #218 Angels From the Realms of Glory
Greeting and Announcements
- 9:00 Sunday School for all ages. Pre-k through 7th Grade Classes as well as Adult Classes are in the basement. 8th-12th Grade meets in the Fireside Room.
- 10:30 Worship
- We will celebrate the Lord’s Supper today.
- 6:00 pm, Kids’ Quest Program and Cookie Fellowship.
- No Kids’ Quest, Youth Group, or Faith of Our Fathers this week. Resumes January 5th.
- No Men’s Bible Study this week. Resumes at 6 am on January 6th and at 8 am on January 8th.
- 6 pm, Thursday, December 24th, Christmas Candlelight Service.
Mark Your Calendar:
- December 26th, no Sunday School.
- 8 pm- Midnight, December 31st, New Years’ Eve Game Night at the church. Please bring your favorite card/board game and finger foods. See Oriah or Sarah L. for more details.
- 6:45 pm, January 6th, Women’s Bible Study. Study on the book of Ephesians. Meets every 1st and 3rd Thursday.
- 6:00 pm, January 9th, New Membership Class. For more information, see Pastor Jeff.
- January 15th, Puppet Ministry Training (if inclement weather, will meet January 22nd.) This training is for all ages. For more information, see Clea B.
- Mending the Soul will start meeting in January. Support group for women who were sexually abused as minors. Applications in the foyer. Reach out to Kristen L. for more information.
- Everyone in the congregation is invited to Right Now Media (rightnow.org). Email Foothillsccpca@gmail.com to be added.
Responsive Call to Worship: Isaiah 12: 2 – 6
Leader: Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.”
All: With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. In that day you will say: “Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted.
Leader: Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you.”
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #214 Angels We Have Heard on High
We Confess Our Sin
Confession of Sin & Assurance of Pardon
Hymn of Assurance: Hymnal #204 (verses 1, 3) Away In A Manger
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: O Holy Night/ Placide Cappeau
In 1855, John Dwight, a Unitarian minister and abolitionist from Massachusetts was busy developing new material for church hymnals, happening upon Cappeau’s carols lyrics, a message that resonated with his political views regarding freedom and equality. He translated the French Catholic’s carol into English and renamed it “O Holy Night”.
As one might expect, the Carol gained immediate popularity in the pre-civil War North. In the south, a different story. The song’s message was considered subversive and inflammatory; it was many years before it was included in Christmas services.
We hear the hope that transcends the Christmas season and looks beyond to a time when love and compassion might one day rule the world.
We Hear God Speak
Advent Candle Lighting: Love
Kids’ Quest Kids and Youth Choir: Hallelujah
*Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddler’s Church for 2-4 years old, Children’s Church for 5 to 8 years old.
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Then I Believe I’ll Follow You Romans 6: 15 – 18
Hymn of Response: Foothills Songs of Faith #5 Grace Unmeasured
The Lord’s Supper
A Word About Communion: Foothills Community Church welcomes all baptized Christians who are willing to forsake their sin and who are trusting in Jesus Christ for salvation to receive Communion with us. If you are not able to take Communion, we invite you to use this time to pray before God.
The Bread (is gluten-free)
The Cup (outer ring contains wine; inner rings contains grape juice)
Hymn of Response: Songs of Faith #23 Knowing You
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Hymnal #210 Silent Night
Postlude: Tres Villancicos ( Three Spanish Carols)