We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Pastoral Symphony/ Handel’s Messiah
Gathering Hymn: Hymnal #207 Good Christian Men, Rejoice
- 9 am, Sunday School for all ages. Preschool-7th meets downstairs, High School meets in the Fireside Room, and the Adult class is studying Christ in the Covenants in the Sanctuary. There will be no Sunday School on December 25th or January 1st
- 9 am, New Members’ Class
- 10:30 Worship in the sanctuary.
- Following worship, Women’s Choir practice.
- 5:30 pm, Tonight, Small Groups meet at the church. Fellowship meal, hymn sing, and then will break off into three groups for prayer and study.
- 5:30 pm, Tonight, Young Adult Bible Study at Jay and Kayla’s. (Address in bulletin) Meal provided.
- 5:00 pm, Monday, Session Meeting.
- 5:00 pm, Wednesday, Sonlight Puppeteer practice.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, Kids’ Quest for pre-k—7th grade. Meal provided.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesday, J-Curve Study for the adults at the church. Meal provided. See Ron B. for more information.
- 5:30 pm, Wednesdays, New Members’ class for the middle and high schoolers.
- 6:15 pm, Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center. See Shonda J. for more information.
- 6 am Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 7:15 pm, Thursday, Prayer Meeting at Daniel and Sarah’s (address in the bulletin). For more information contact Daniel.
- 1 pm-4:30 pm, Friday, Ladies’ Drop In at the home of Carey N. Feel free to drop in or stay awhile! Bring a craft to work on or just enjoy time of fellowship, light refreshments, and a “Make and Take” small gift.
- 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 1:00 pm, Saturday, Christmas Caroling. We will meet at the church at 1 pm to practice and then go to the nursing home at 2 pm. See Sarah R. for more information.
- December 18th, we will celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
- December 18th, following worship we will have a brief congregational meeting to approve the acquisition of the land adjoining our present property.
- 6:00 pm, December 18th, Kids’ Quest Program.
- 6:00 pm, December 24th, Candlelight Service.
- We will be participating in the elementary school’s annual Coat Drive. If you would like to contribute, please bring new or gently used coats, gloves, and hats to the church by the 18th of December.
- We will be placing another FCC T-shirt order in the near future. Available sizes are kids small, medium, and large; and small through 2XL in men and women. Shirts cost $15. If you are interested in ordering, please contact Lydia H.
Responsive Call to Worship: Luke 1: 46 – 50 The Magnificant
Leader: My soul magnifies the Lord,
All: And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
Leader: For he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
All: For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
Leader: For he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
All: And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #195 Joy To The World
We Confess Our Sin
Corporate Prayer: (Adapted from the Valley of Vision—Joy)
All: O Christ, all your ways of mercy end in my delight. You did weep, sorrow, and suffer so that I might rejoice. For my joy, you have sent the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, making known your promises, showing me my future eternal happiness, and given a fountain of living water welling up inside of me.
If I weep at night, give me joy in the morning. Let me rest in the thought of your love, of the pardon for my sin, my title to heaven, and my future unblemished state. I am an unworthy recipient of your grace. I often take for granted your blood, which was shed for me, and make little of your great love for me.
But in true repentance, I can draw water from the wells of your joyous forgiveness. Let my heart leap towards the eternal sabbath rest, where the work of redemption, sanctiﬁcation, preservation, and gloriﬁcation is ﬁnished and perfected for ever, and where you will rejoice over me with joy. Amen
Silent Confession of Sin
Prayer of Confession
Responsive Assurance of Pardon: Psalm 32: 1 – 5 (NLT)
Leader: Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight!
All: Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty!
Leader: When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me.
All: My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat.
Leader: Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.”
All: And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone.
Hymn of Assurance: Hymnal #213 What Child Is This
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Tres Villancicos (Three Christmas Carols)
Los pieces en el Rio— one of the most popular Spanish carols, telling the story of the fish in a river delighting over the Savior.
A la no it’s Nana- folk origin dating back to the 16th and 18th centuries, featuring a lullaby.
Campana Sober Campana- Bells Over Bethlehem- comes from a region in Southern Spain dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries.
We Hear God Speak
Advent Candle Lighting: Joy
Special Music by the Children of Foothills: #229 (verse 1) Gentle Mary Laid Her Child; congregation join for verses 2, 3
*Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddlers’ Church for ages 2-4, and Children’s Church for ages 5-8.
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
The Gospel for Everyone Everywhere Romans 10: 10 –13
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 12-11-22 sermon notes
Hymn of Response: Songs of Faith #21 Your Name (Christmas Version)
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Joyful, Joyful We Adore You
Postlude: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing