We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: And Can It Be/In the setting of Scarlatti’s Sonata in A Major
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #25 Lift High The Name of Jesus
- 9:00 Sunday School for all ages. Pre-k through 7th Grade Classes are in the basement. The High Schoolers and Adult Sunday School Class is in the sanctuary.
- 9:00 New Members’ Class in the Fireside Room.
- 10:30 Worship
- 5:30 pm, Tonight, Young Adult Bible Study (address in Bulletin) Meal provided.
- Tonight, Ackerman Small Group Fellowship Meal at Lowell and Debbie’s home.
- 6 am Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 7: 15 pm, Thursday, Prayer Meeting at Daniel and Sarah’s. Address in the bulletin.
- 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
Mark Your Calendar:
- There will be no Sunday School on September 4th.
- 6:30 pm, September 6th, Mercy Ministry Team meeting.
- 9 am, September 11th, Fall Sunday School begins. Preschool-7th will meet downstairs, High School will meet in the Fireside Room, and the Adult class will be studying Christ in the Covenants in the Sanctuary.
- 5:30 pm, September 11th, Small Groups begin. Fellowship meal, hymn sing, and then will break off into three groups for prayer and study. Two groups will study Ferguson’s “Let’s Study Ephesians” and one group will go through the week’s sermon and discuss its application to daily living. Will meet every 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month at the church.
- 6:15 pm, September 14th, High School Youth Group begins at the Community Center. See Shonda Jolley for more information.
- 5:00 pm, September 18th, Fall Kick-off BBQ. The church will provide hamburgers and hot dogs; watch for the link to sign up to bring sides and desserts.
- Pastor Jeff and Carey will be out of town on vacation from August 29th– September 15th. If you have a pastoral need, please contact one of the elders.
- September Devotionals are available on the bookshelf in the back of the sanctuary.
- Everyone in the congregation is invited to Right Now Media (rightnow.org). Email Foothillsccpca@gmail.com to be added.
Ministry Moment: Kristen L. MTS
Responsive Call to Worship: 1 Chronicles 29: 10 – 13
Leader: Blessed are you, O Lord, the God of Israel our father, forever and ever.
All: Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all.
Leader: Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all.
All: And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Majesty
We Confess Our Sin
Responsive Reading: Psalm 38: 1 – 4, 17 – 18
Leader: Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath.
All: Your arrows have pierced me, and your hand has come down on me.
Leader: Because of your wrath there is no health in my body; there is no soundness in my bones because of my sin.
All: My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear.
Leader: For I am about to fall, and my pain is ever with me.
All: I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin.
Silent Confession of Sin
Prayer of Confession
Assurance of Pardon: Hebrews 2:14-15, 17
Leader: Since the children have flesh and blood, he [Jesus] too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death – that is, the devil – and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.
Hymn of Assurance: There Is A Redeemer
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: Talk About A Child/ Negro Spiritual
We Hear God Speak
*Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddler’s Church for 2-4 years old, Children’s Church for 5 to 8 years old.
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Period, Exclamation Point Romans 9:5
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 8-28-22 sermon notes
Hymn of Response: Songs of Faith #15 In Christ Alone
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Jesus Name Above All Names (2 times)
Postlude: Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus