We Gather Together to Worship Our God
Prelude: Sheep May Safely Graze/ J.S. Bach
Gathering Hymn: Songs of Faith #35 Resurrection Hymn
Greeting and Announcements
- 9:00 Sunday School for all ages. Pre-k through 7th Grade Classes as well as the Mama and Papa Bear Apologetics Class are in the basement. The Tabletalk Class is in the sanctuary and 8th-12th Grade meets in the Fireside Room.
- 10:30 Worship
- 5:30 Tonight, “James: Christian Maturity” Community Group at the church. Meal provided.
- 5:30 Tonight, Loftus Community Group at the church. Meal provided.
- 5:30 Tonight, Young Adult Bible Study (address in Bulletin) Meal provided.
- 5:00 pm, Monday, Session Meeting.
- 6:00 pm, Monday, Mending the Soul Support Group.
- 5:30 Wednesday, Kids’ Quest for grades pre-k through 7th. Meal provided.
- 6:00 pm, Wednesday, “Faith of Our Fathers” small group.
- 6:15 pm Wednesday, High School Youth Group at the Community Center. Meal provided.
- 6 am Thursday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- 7:00 pm, Friday, Good Friday Service.
- 8 am Saturday, Men’s Prayer-time and Bible Study.
- April 17th, there will be no Sunday School.
- April 24th, We will celebrate the Lord’s Supper.
- 6:00 pm, April 24th, Kids’ Quest Program.
- VBS helpers and teachers are needed! VBS is June 7th-10th. See Amy K. for more info.
- 3:00-6:00 pm, April 27th, Clothe-a-Kid Registration at First Presbyterian church. This annual program gives K-8th grade children each $100 to spend on back-to-school clothing in August. Call Love INC at 605-206-3515 for more information.
- Everyone in the congregation is invited to Right Now Media (rightnow.org). Email Foothillsccpca@gmail.com to be added.
- April Devotionals are available on the bookshelf in the back of the sanctuary. This month you will study: God’s preparing words to the Israelites before entering the Promised Land in Deuteronomy, the Israelites possessing the Promised Land under Joshua’s leadership, Israel compromising their faith in Judges, and will begin studying God’s covenant loyalty in Ruth.
- The Mercy Team would like to offer the congregation the opportunity to help the Sturgis Women’s Shelter during the months of March and April. They have an ongoing need for the following items. If you can help, please bring items to church to the collection basket in the foyer and we will make sure they are taken to the shelter. THANK YOU!
Hygiene products (soap, shampoo, deodorant, lotions)
Responsive Call to Worship: Psalm 24: 7 – 9
Leader: Lift up your heads, O gates! And be lifted up, O ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in.
All: Who is this King of glory? The Lord, strong and mighty, the Lord, mighty in battle!
Leader: Lift up your heads, O gates! And lift them up, O ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in.
Prayer of Adoration
Hymn of Praise: Hymnal #235 All Glory, Laud, and Honor
Responsive Reading: Zechariah 9:9; Matthew 21: 7 – 9
Leader: Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout, Daughter Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.
All: They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them for Jesus to sit on. A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road.
Leader: The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted,
All: “Hosanna to the Son of David!” “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!” “Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
Hymn of Praise: Hosanna
Leader: Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples.” He answered, “I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out.”
Hymn of Praise: We Will Glorify
We Confess Our Sin
Silent Confession of Sin
Responsive Prayer of Confession: I Have Betrayed (with selected passages from Psalm 51)
Leader: Lord, I have betrayed you by following my own way.
All: I have denied you by fearing to follow yours.
Leader: And I have mocked you by not taking your death seriously.
All: Lord, I am lost. Let your forgiveness find me.
Leader: Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.
All: Wash away all my iniquity, cleanse me from my sin, and give me your new life.
Leader: Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
All: Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Leader: Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
All: Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Responsive Assurance of Pardon: Isaiah 53:1 – 5
Leader: He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
All: Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted.
Leader: But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.
Hymn of Assurance: Songs of Faith #34 The Lord Is My Salvation
We Give Thanks To The Lord
Tithes and Offerings
Offertory: The Palms/ Jean Baptiste Faure (1830-1914) was a celebrated French operatic baritone and art collector of great significance. This composition was written for four flutes.
We Hear God Speak
*Following this time, a nursery is available, Toddler’s Church for 2-4 years old, Children’s Church for 5 to 8 years old.
Prayer of God’s People
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
The Way Up is Down Romans 8: 17 – 18
A copy of the sermon notes is available: 4-10-22 Sermon Notes
Hymn of Response: On Jordan’s Stormy Banks
We Are Dismissed with God’s Blessing
Just A Closer Walk With Thee (verses 1, 3)
Postlude: All Glory, Laud and Honor/Melchior Teschner